OMSA Research Initiative Grant
If you have ever thought of conducting original research, need helping with preparing for your BA thesis, want support to finish that really important chapter—the Research Initiative Grant is for you.
The Research Initiative Grant is intended to assist undergraduate, graduate, and professional students of color by providing financial support for scholarly projects exploring the multifaceted nature of race, race relations, ethnicity, and/or culture within the University of Chicago, the larger City of Chicago community, and/or Higher Education.
The grant proposals deadline has been extended! Applications are now due Monday October 29, 2012. Letters of recommendation are now due Monday November 5, 2012.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Common budget requests include local (within Chicagoland) transportation costs, subject/interviewee incentives/compensation, focus group and meeting costs, books and other source material, transcription costs, printing costs, and AV equipment costs (e.g. audio recorders, video recorders).
- Unfortunately the grant cannot be used toward cost of transportation to sites outside of Chicago. This includes international sites.
- Grant funds applied for now cannot be used toward expenses to be incurred during Summer 2013. However, we will be taking applications for a summer research grant cycle in Spring Quarter.
- You do not need to have taken a class with your recommender, nor do they need to be at the University. However, if they are not at the University an additional letter of support from a recommender who is at the University would be desirable.
- Applications and letters will be accepted if received via email.